What is PROCINORTE?
PROCINORTE is the Cooperative Program in Agricultural Research and Technology, a regional mechanism that facilitates cooperative research activities of tri-lateral interest to Canada, Mexico and the United States.
To foster agriculture-related governmental and stakeholder scientific collaboration through exchange of information, joint activities and capacity building in an effort to:
1) enhance sector productivity and competitiveness;
2) Improve food safety and plant and animal health;
3) Help adapt to, and mitigate the impact of climate change;
4) Help safeguard natural resources through sustainable development and conservation.
Members of PROCINORTE
PROCINORTE was founded in 1998 through an agreement between the public agricultural research institutes of the three countries in the Northern Region:
Science and Technology Branch, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada- (AAFC)
Agricultural Research Service (ARS) of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Forestales Agrícolas y Pecuarias (INIFAP)
Also, a member is the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture (IICA) that acts as Executive Secretariat.
- Share knowledge on agreed priority themes by mobilizing public agricultural sector researchers and scientists, incorporating science relevant to technology, regulation, trade and sustainability;
- Strengthen mutually supportive research efforts in priority topics relevant to agriculture and food systems;
- Extend and measure the reach and impact of scientific investigations and contributions;
- Contribute to the dialogue on regional/hemispheric agricultural science and technology.